Saturday, April 21, 2007

Helena

Dear Diary,
It is today that I have faced such humiliation. As I followed my love, Demetrius, in a fond chase through the forest, he has run from and hid in the brakes, leaving me no sign of his whereabouts. Yet, what have I done to receive such unconditional love, although I find much joy in the hands of dear Demetrius, whose hues are in his controlling. Nevertheless, it was I who was seeking to find my love and instead came to meet Lysander, who had been lying on the ground. Not knowing whether he had been dead or asleep, it is I who came to curiosity and called to his awakening. But, he woke up, looking into my eyes and began to confess his love for me. As if I had been Hermia, he wooed me such words of affection, saying that I am a transparent woman, it sounded as if he had been in love with me, and exclaimed such feelings that were overwhelmingly enticing. Has he come to show sympathy for me in being hopelessly in love or what mockery has he planned upon me, having not received the sweet eye of Demetrius? What have I done to deserve such scorn from him, who seems to have no clue of my loyalty for Demetrius. He thinks that such love from him will fulfill the emptiness I have from Demetrius, who repels and refuses to see me ,for he thinks it is I that makes him sick, but in truth it is I that becomes weak and sick in the absence of him. Yet, I cannot forgive the disdainful manner Lysander has shown me today, flouting the pathetic love I have towards Demetrius, who does not truly love me so. However, I find it strange that Lysander did not remain content with his sentiment for Hermia. Perhaps he does not hold her in his heart anymore, and is in fact inclined to my beauty that is nonetheless to be compared with Hermia. For I will eclipse her with the superiority of my extravagant beauty. If it is true that Lysander has fixed his eyes upon me now, I must then accept his love and prove to Demetrius that I am worthy even enough to have attracted such a man as Lysander. Seeing me with another man may come to spur jealous and desire in admitting his love to me, instead of forbidding it.

Love,
Helena

No comments: